586-263-4411   Clinton Township
586-468-5445   Mount Clemens
586-275-3000   Sterling Heights

By Hosey Foot & Ankle Centers
June 21, 2016
Category: Foot Care
Tags: Bunions  

Is bunion pain keeping you from doing the things you want to do? Thomas C. Hosey, D.P.M. and Ryan Murphy, D.P.M., your Sterling bunionsHeights, Clinton Township and Mount Clemens podiatrists, explain what causes bunions and what you can do to relieve your pain.

What are bunions?

A bunion is a bony bump at the base of your big toe. The bump forms when your big toe starts to lean inward, which results in a misalignment of some of the bones in your foot.

What kind of symptoms do bunions cause?

If you have a bunion, you may notice:

  • Pain in and around the bony bump at the base of your toe
  • Thick skin over your bunion
  • Burning or redness over your bunion
  • Numbness in your toe or foot
  • Trouble moving your toe

What causes bunions?

Bunions tend to occur more often in women. Wearing high heels or tight or pointy shoes frequently may increase your risk, as these shoes put significant pressure on your feet. You may also inherit a genetic tendency to develop bunions, or may develop them if you had a foot injury, or have arthritis, a foot deformity or one leg that is longer than the other.

What is the best way to reduce bunion pain?

Ice, heating pads, and over-the-counter pain medications can help relieve bunion pain, but it's equally important to choose shoes that are wide enough to accommodate your bunion. Protecting your foot with bunion pads will help make wearing shoes more comfortable. It's a good idea to reduce the amount of time you spend on your feet and avoid activities that aggravate your bunion.

If bunion pain continues or worsens, make an appointment with your foot doctor. He can provide you with custom-made inserts for your shoes that take the pressure off your foot, or show you how to splint and tape your foot. When your bunion pain is severe, or if your bunion interferes with your normal activities, your podiatrist may recommend surgery to realign the bones in your foot and remove swollen tissue.

Contact your Sterling Heights, Clinton Township and Mount Clemens foot doctors

Your foot doctor can offer a variety of treatments and strategies that will help relieve your bunion pain. Call Thomas C. Hosey, D.P.M. and Ryan Murphy, D.P.M., your Sterling Heights, Clinton Township and Mount Clemens foot doctors, to schedule an appointment. Relieve your pain with a visit to your podiatrist!


Contact Us

Hosey Foot & Ankle Centers - Clinton Township

Our Locations

Clinton Township, MI Podiatrist
Hosey Foot & Ankle Centers
42550 Garfield Road
Clinton Township, MI 48038
(586) 263-4411
Podiatrist in Clinton Township, MI Call For Pricing Options
Sterling Heights, MI Podiatrist
Hosey Foot & Ankle Centers
44344 Dequindre Road
Sterling Heights, MI 48314
(586) 275-3000
Podiatrist in Sterling Heights, MI Call For Pricing Options
Mount Clemens, MI Podiatrist
Hosey Foot & Ankle Centers
253 Southbound Gratiot Ave.
Mount Clemens, MI 48043
(586) 468-5445
Podiatrist in Mount Clemens, MI Call For Pricing Options