How your podiatrists in Sterling Heights, Mount Clemens, and Clinton Township can help
If you suffer from chronic ankle instability, no doubt you’ve experienced the sudden loss of control over movement in your ankle. Loss of ankle support can be frightening because it can happen at any moment, when you trying to walk, or even when you are just standing still. Fortunately, there are some effective treatments for ankle instability. Your podiatrists Dr. Thomas Hosey, Dr. Ryan Murphy, and Dr. Kristen Patterson at Hosey Foot & Ankle Centers can help. They have convenient office locations in Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, and Mount Clemens, MI to help you.
Chronic ankle instability is usually caused by a sprained ankle that hasn’t healed properly. Ligaments and tendons are stretched or damaged from the sprain, and if you don’t let the sprain heal completely, you may experience more ankle sprains. Each time you sprain your ankle, you run the risk of developing a chronically unstable ankle.
Some of the signs and symptoms of chronic ankle instability include:
- A frequent feeling of your ankle “giving way”
- Your ankle giving way when you are on uneven surfaces
- Your ankle giving way when you are active or play sports
- Frequent discomfort, tenderness or pain in your ankle
- Frequent swelling or instability in your ankle
To treat your chronic ankle instability, your podiatrists at Hosey Foot & Ankle Centers may suggest non-invasive treatments like these:
- Physical therapy exercises to improve ankle strength, balance, and range of motion
- Wearing an ankle brace to keep your ankle stable and prevent movement
- Anti-inflammatory and pain medications to reduce swelling and relieve pain
In severe cases of ankle instability that don’t respond to non-invasive treatments, your podiatrists may suggest surgery to repair your ankle. During surgery, damaged ligaments and tendons will be repaired, providing you with a fully-functioning, fully-supportive ankle.
If you are missing out on the activities and sports you love because of chronic ankle instability, it’s time to take action and get back to your life. It’s time to call your podiatrists at Hosey Foot & Ankle Centers, with offices in Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, and Mount Clemens, MI. Get back on your feet by calling today!